Friday, November 26, 2010

Giving Happy Thanks

        I decided to take a short trip to Grand Rapids, Michigan for Thanksgiving: I haven’t seen my family in a while and I wanted to see my mother as well as my nieces and nephews. I drove 8 hours from Lexington, Kentucky. It was a pleasant drive with singing, praying, and enduring constant rain—it, literally, did rain constantly since I started my adventure. I drove through three states (Kentucky, Indiana, and Michigan); this was my first 8 hour drive I had ever done. It’s a real confidence builder. God has been very gracious to me to be able to do this in order to see family in Michigan. I am thankful for the opportunity and thankful for God’s protection and guidance on my way to my former dwelling place. Thank you, O Lord God.

        Its thanksgiving—shouldn’t I be thankful to God? Well, I am. God gave me a computer to use, a car to drive with insurance, a job, food, Ale8 : ), and more. Why should I not be thankful? I live in one of the most blessed countries on the earth. And now, it’s that time for me as an American to stop and think about what I am thankful for. God has richly blessed this nation: not because the nation deserves the blessings, but because He is good and faithful to His promises. I know some of you might be thinking: “Promises? What promises? It was the Indians who gave the Pilgrims food, and not God.” Maybe… I am not entirely sure about the origins of Thanksgiving. But, I do know that Thanksgiving was an American National Holiday based on biblical principles. You know: giving and thanks.

        I love both concepts because they’re godly ideas that focus outside the self. To give to someone else freely is to never think of getting anything in return. To thank someone with a sincere, honest heart is also giving to someone else without expecting anything in return. If someone thanks you for something or someone gives you something, let the love in with thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is the one time of the year for Americans to think about being selfless. I do believe that being selfless should be a daily attitude of life. However, I am very grateful for the original intent of the holiday: to give thanks to God. So, please don’t forget to give your sincerest, most honest thanks to God. God deserves all of our richest gifts, thanks, and praise for the blessings He freely gives us.

No comments:

Post a Comment